Sunday 13 May 2012

Reminder To Filial Son Moves Others To Care For Their Aged Parents

(Source, The Sunday Star, By Yvonne Lim, yvonnelim@thestar.com.my, 12 May 2012)
 Nobody visits the Leong car air-conditioning service shop here without learning a thing or two about filial piety.

And not many leave without shedding a tear or two after reading a framed “Letter from Mom” with its reminder of a child's duty to his aged parents.

The letter taking pride of place in the shop of 60-year-old Leong Swee Kee reads in part:

“My Child, when I get old, I hope you understand and have patience with me."

Cherished possession: Leong showing a family photo which includes his late mother (middle, in grey)-RONNIE CHIN/The Star
“When my knees get weaker I hope you have the patience to help me get up."

“Like how I used to help while you were little."

“Do you remember learning how to walk?”


Leong said the “letter” was put together by his sister-in-law in memory of his mother, Chung Thye, who died last year at age 103.

“She had a stroke in 1997 which left her barely able to function on her own. My five brothers and I took care of her until she died in May last year,” he said, nodding towards pictures of his mother which adorn the wall.
He added: “Those who have cared for a stroke patient understand the challenges. Many times, people came up to me and asked why I did not put my mother in an old folks' home since caring for her at home was so troublesome?

“I told them that my mother had worked hard and sacrificed so much to raise my four brothers and me single-handedly after our father passed away when I was seven. It was an honour for us to take care of her in her old age.”

Leong described his mother as “generous and giving”, and said that many of his customers remembered her as the old lady who would serve them boiled sugarcane juice while they waited for their car to be serviced.

“She cared more about what she could do for others than what they could do for her,” he said.


Watch Video ->  Letter from Mom

The father of two grown-up children said he put up the “letter” in his shop to remind customers, especially young people, the importance of caring for their parents.

“Some customers cry after reading it. One man came up to me weeping. He said he was taking care of his own father who suffered a stroke recently and the letter had encouraged him greatly,” he said.

Leong believed that he and his brothers had by example taught their children the meaning of filial piety.

“It is a good feeling to know that I was a good son to my mother. It has been a year since she passed away, and I still miss her a lot,” he said.

“But I am happy to know that she lived a rich, long life with the people she loved and who loved her in return.”

No comments: