Sunday 30 March 2008

DEPRESSION COMMON AMONG CAREGIVERS

I am frustrated, full of anger. Sometimes I lose my temper and blow. Then I feel guilty. Even when I don't lose my temper, I feel guilty. I am grouchy. I have lost a sense of who I am these days. I grieve. I am sad and I cry, uncontrollable at times. I do not sleep well. I am lonely and I am fearful. Who am I?

I am the spouse of someone with Alzheimer's.
Does this resonate with you? For some of you, I know it does.
Think about it, many of you 'work' as a caregiver 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. And even if care-giving is something you think you do reasonably well, it can be hard to find satisfaction as a caregiver when your loved one's condition only declines. It is difficult to feel good about yourself when everything around you is unpredictable and unreal. It is tough to feel happy when you can no longer find the time to do the things you enjoy and that bring meaning to your life.
According to the Alzheimer's Association, more than 80 percent of Alzheimer caregivers report that they frequently experience high levels of stress, and nearly half say they suffer from depression. It's not difficult to see why.

All of us certainly experience negative feelings from time to time. But according to the Family Caregiver Alliance, "when these feelings become more intense and leave caregivers totally drained of energy, crying frequently or easily angered by their loved one or other people, it may well be a warning sign of depression."

Many of you have written on this blog and shared concerns about yourself, or expressed support to others related to the challenges of care-giving. I want to offer my genuine appreciation. Circles of support, of all kinds, are incredibly valuable. If you have signs of depression, I hope you seek the medical attention you need.

Depression amongst Alzheimer's caregivers is more common than most of us realize and deserves to be treated with the same attention afforded any other illness.

Source : By Angela Lunde

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Body aches are most of the time not taken seriously by people. The fact of the matter is that they can actually prove to be quite serious at times. Body aches can also be symptoms of other massive illnesses like depression. Though depression does have effective medications in the form of xanax it is obvious that no body would like to fall prey to it.